- unroll 1 piecrust onto work surface; it into bottom and up sides of 9 inch deep pie dish and prick bottom of crust all over with fork; refrigerate
- in small bowl, blend sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and allspice; set aside
- prepare apples
- in large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add apples, lemon juice, and sugar mixture and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until juices thicken; cool on rack for 25 minutes
- pour cooled apple mixture into prepared pie plate, then unroll top crust, fit over, crimp and seal; cut 1 inch vent in top
- brush egg over top and sprinkle with a teaspoon of granulated sugar
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool at least one hour before serving.
This apple peeler is an antique; it belonged to Larry's Aunt Ruth, a wonderful woman whom we miss. It makes quick work of peeling apples. I'm told she and Larry's mom used to peel mountains of apples for their church fair. I love having a remembrance of Aunt Ruth.